Saturday, April 18, 2009

yuck

so, i'm a good mom, at least i like to think so.  for the most part, we go about our days with not too much hoopla; lily and i are both pretty laid back, and i bet some think i'm a little too lax in my parenting.  well, today, they were right.  i was out on the front porch enjoying the warm weather watching lily play in the mulch when i noticed my day lilys (the flowers, not my daughter) needed a little trimming.  the fronds from last year were withered away, so i thought i would clean them up.  in the mean time a rather large rollie pollie strolled out of the mulch.  i showed it to lily, what kid doesn't think they're the neatest bug out there?  she thought it was quite intriguing.  back to the trimming.  i keep pulling out the dead fronds, and a huge, juicy spider jumps out of the mulch.  sick.  so, i go about attempting to kill it, it was one of the jumpy kinds.  yuck.  finally, success!  then, as i'm trying to scoop it up with something, i hear a crunch from behind me.  now, i know lily is less picky than i when it comes to her appetite, but seriously, does she need to try this as a delicacy?  i scream, pinch her cheeks together, and out comes mr. potatoe bug, with a severe dislocation right across his mid section.  sorry mr. bug.  i ran lily inside, put a pea-sized amount of flouride-free (told you i'm a good mom!) toothpaste on my finger and cleaned out her mouth.  then i thought it might be wise to wash my hands first since i had been trimming the plants.  oh well.  my aunt always told me "god made dirt so dirt don't hurt."  i believe god made bugs too.

9 comments:

Vernos said...

A hasn't eaten bugs...yet! EWWW! But i still think you're a good mom:)

Taryn and the boys said...

Good for the immune system. Atleast that's what I always say at time like that.

Hailey said...

I don't think you're too lax, although I'm glad you found out about the toothpaste ;). That's sick about the potato bug! Maybe she's trying to be like Hudda. He licked a snail at Tricia's last summer!

Ulrich Family said...

Dont worry my cousin would feed me potatoe bugs when I was little and I turned out fine. I think?

Tabitha said...

That is so funny! Yuck!

Katie Corbridge said...

Oh just too funny! I can totally picture that cute little tot putting the rollie pollie in her mouth!!!! Gotta love kids!

Loved the Easter pics too! She is such a cutie pie!!!

Mackay Family said...

Haha! That is so funny!

Ashlee & Christian said...

okay that is totally hilarious. By the way, Christian was laughing so hard when he read this and he immediately told me I needed to come enjoy the laughter! Carter lately he keeps squishing the ants in our house and then says oops and then laughs. Oh the joy of kids! We can't WAIT for you guys to come out and visit. Oh yeah and FYI I took Carter today for his weight check up and he was exactly 18 lbs even with clothes and a diaper on. Darn, oh well, we decided we would just keep him in the car seat till you guys got here and then switch and at that point he will be almost 15 months.

The Johnson's said...

I think thats pretty funny. I would never have expected her to do that, well a girl in general. I am planning on seeing Sage one day with a mouth full of dirt, so I totally feel the lax side like you. Hopefully she doesn't develop a habit of eating yummy buggies!