Thursday, May 1, 2008

Break My Heart!!

So, Lily is now 2 months old! What a milestone. We took her to the doctor yesterday for her well child check-up. Here's the update... She weighs 9lbs exactly, which is still smaller than my brother was when he was born! She's 21 inches long, so she's only grown an inch and a half since she was born. I thought she was a lot longer, but we figure she's just unfolding. So, that puts her in the 9th percentile for her weight and the 6th for her height. I don't know how I got such a little baby, considering that I was 8 lbs 4 oz when I was born, and I was a week early! As most of you already know, it was the first round of immunizations. I think they need a course for parents to prepare you for how awful it is going to be! I thought I could handle it, Lily had to have her heels pricked for the first week we were home because she had jaundice. So I thought, I know how she reacts to pain, I've done this before. My mom even told me it wouldn't be as bad as the heel pricks since they don't have to draw blood out. Well, she was wrong! The nurse grabbed Lily's leg and in went the needle. You would have thought I had a little piglet on my lap, she squealed so loud! And a painful squeal. Then she took a deep breath, started crying, then held her breath...and held it...and held it. Every second her face was getting more and more red, and she had the biggest frown in the world. Still holding that first breath, the nurse started on the second leg. Finally she took another breath, and then it was waterworks. And she's starting to get real tears. Talk about breaking a mother's heart! She seems to be doing well now. Her legs are a little tender to the touch, but she is in good spirits, not fussy or bothered. She's a little trooper! So, for those of you out there that haven't had to do this, prepare yourself for heartbreak.

7 comments:

Mackay Family said...

Tanner goes on Monday to his 2 month checkup. Not looking forward to that day and the shots. I can't believe she is only 9 lbs. Lily is tiny, but so cute!

Jacy Leany said...

My heavens Kat!! That sounds horrible! Poor little thing! I hate to see babies in pain.
Lex actually did okay with his shots... Just cried for a second. BUT, a few days ago I accidentally scratched him and he freaked out! Oh my heck! He was hysterical! Talk about heart break! At least you weren't the cause of her pain... I felt like the worst mom ever!
Let's do lunch soon!
Call me!

Jess said...

First of all, get some fat on those thighs and it won't be as bad. Porter cries for two seconds and is never sore! And 9th percentile? Ok, Porter is 95% for his height and 85% for his weight. (and yes 75% for his head) But she is the cutest tiny baby I have ever seen, I love her!

Erika said...

Oh sad! :( I hope she is doing well now.

Jess said...

Oh isn't it horrible?!?!?! Seriously and it doesn't get easier ...... bytheway Lily is SO cute!!!!

The Buckley's said...

Seriously she is so cute! It really is just as hard for the parents. I feel even more horrible as they get older and they look at you like why did you let them do that to me? It's so sad!

Melissa said...

I totally know how you feel! I had to take my little girl to the doctor's on Monday for her two month. She screamed pretty hard, and then crashed after.

I'm so happy you have a blog! I love reading up on what everyone has been up to since Lib Square. Maybe I'm just super nosy.

you can find my blog here